I would like to remind everyone TONIGHT is the Cook County Assessor Real Estate Property Tax Appeal seminar. The seminar will be held at St. Barbara’s Church Basement. 2859 S. Throop Street and starts at 6:00pm. Note the last day to appeal is October 12th, 2018.
Last week we celebrated great news that Ward, Sheridan, Healy, Armour and Holden schools are included in the new Near South High School boundaries (see our website ward11. org for the Boundary Map). I will continue to work diligently on a plan for ALL of our students in the 11th Ward to have a quality secondary education option.
I sponsored an ordinance that was approved at the September City Council authorizing significant renovation work at McGuane Park. The work will include:
– Improvements to the main lobby, reception and Rotunda.
– Multipurpose Rooms on the first floor will be expanded with improved finishes, lighting and HVAC. General improvements to the finishes to the Gymnasium and Natatorium will be included.
– The second floor will be renovated to include new and improved fitness center, “Girls in Game Room” and a lounge overlooking the gymnasium.
– Building mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems will be improved to meet current codes. - Building exterior consisting of precast panels will be power washed and new colored LED lighting will be installed. Building entrance will be enhanced with new canopies. The roof repairs will include new and improved skylights over the Natatorium.
– New elevator will be added to accommodate ADA accessibility to the second floor.
All of this work is scheduled to be completed by next summer.
This coming Sunday, we welcome the Chicago Marathon participants into the Ward. Cermak Road will be closed from Canalport – Wentworth and Wentworth will be closed from Cermak Road to 33rd Street. It is always great to see our neighbors out supporting local businesses and cheering the runners on along the route. I encourage everyone to come out and enjoy.
The Mayor will introduce the 2019 Budget to the City Council on October 10th. Shortly thereafter, the City Council will hold budget hearings with each Department to review their proposed budgets. I again will host a community meeting to listen to constituents concerns and suggestions as well as answer any questions about the proposed Budget.
Commissioner Daley and I are excited to partner with the Department of Public Health and offer FREE Flu Shots at McGuane Park (2901 South Poplar Avenue) on October 11th from 9am-1¬pm. In addition, the City of Chicago Department of Aging, Cook County Assessor’s office, Illinois Secretary of State, Illinois State Treasurer’s office and Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County (CEDA) will also be in attendance to provide their services. I look forward to seeing you at this event.
Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the children this year with trick or treating at Halloween. The Chicago Park District will be offering several Halloween related events throughout the month of October. Park 571 PAC will be hosting a Pumpkin Patch on October 20th from 9:00am – 11:00am. Armour, Park 571, McGuane, Bosley, Donovan and Taylor-Lauridsen will have their Fall Fest on October 27th from 11:00am – 2:00pm and Jefferson Park PAC will be hosting “Spooktacular” on October 28th from 12:00pm – 3:00pm. To ensure safety for residents and children we are working with the Chicago Police and ask that all trick or treating end at 8:00pm on Halloween.
It is an honor to represent the 11th Ward and as always, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to my office at 773-254-6677
11th Ward Alderman, Patrick D. Thompson